Innovations and great advances in science and technology being deployed in service of human kind, connecting individuals, groups and societies at unprecedented levels, and moving society from the digital information age to the digital knowledge age. These advances present both opportunities and challenges to legislators – opportunities to advance effectiveness of parliaments and challenges to in areas including social, legal and economic.
Global warming and climate change threaten to dramatically impact quality of life over the next 30-50 years
Increasing water scarcity and loss of biodiversity
Longevity and ageing in the developed world, youth bulge in the underdeveloped world, and overall dramatic global population growth, along with rise in urbanization and megacities
Upsurge of nationalism and growing mistrust of international organizations and unions
Rise of intolerance and extremism leading to terrorism on a scale never before witnessed.
Growing economic disparity among social groups and regions
• H.E. Dr. Amal Al Qubaisi, President of the Federal National Council (UAE)
• H.E. Saber Chowdhury, President of the Inter-Parliamentary Union
• Grand Imam Dr. Ahmed Al-Tayeb (Sheikh of Al-Azhar)
• H.E. Ban Ki-Moon, Secretary-General, United Nations
• H.E. Federica Mogherini, Vice-President of the European Commission H.E.
• H.H. Sheikh Saif Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Interior (UAE)